READ OUR NEW STORY SERIES - 'ESCAPE FROM SHANCI' BY EKWUEME UCHE



ESCAPE FROM SHANCI

By Ekwueme Uche


And I fell again. But this time, I didn’t fall because of the excruciating pain from my knee. I stumbled over a log of wood lying across my way. I was running for my dear life. I was running away from death and fatality. I mustered enough strength and continued limping away as fast as I could. They were coming. They were coming right behind me. I could hear the strong stamping sound of their feet. I couldn’t place how many they were, all I knew was that, I needed to run. I needed to run away, fast! But the pain from my right knee won’t just let me. I was given a deep knife cut on my right knee to disenable me from trying to run away. It's quite swollen from infection. Oily and foul smelling pus came out every now and then, but then, their greatest mistake was not working on the left knee too.

“Maybe I should hide” I thought.

But hiding won’t be the best idea. They own this forest. The invaders know their way around the woods. They own the jungle, so I’ll rather have to continue running. I leaped over a pool of very dirty water and continued lurching forward, hoping to get farther, farther away from my ensnarers.

**************************


During the strong rainy period of Wura, raiders from the Shanci tribe invaded our peaceful and tranquil home town, Fashadzhi. Masked in leopard skin and crocodile hide, armed with clubs and spears, these devils stormed my land. They took our young men, raped our young girls and sold our children into distant slavery. Even when we tried to put up a fight, they clubbed our heads. Achinda, my first son who tried to fight for the family, was overpowered and killed. His head was clubbed severally and he eyes were gorged out. My heart shattered into various little fractions when his manhood was cut off. These evil men didn’t only kill my son, they cut away his manhood. What an act of insult and dominance!! This singular act subdued the fighting spirit of the rest of my people. We absolutely gave up. We let ourselves to be taken. We watched in disgust as our young girls were brutally raped and our children bundled up. What an eyesore!! I am yet to recover from this!! Nineteen of us were captured. Nineteen men of vigour and value, including my humble self, were turned to mare sacrificial “lambs” for rituals to appease Shancikhulo, their god of childbirth and love. We were moved and kept in a thatch-fenced area with the fence as high as a whooping 9 feet, where we stayed in fear mixed with anticipation of death and doom. It was always terrible watching my kinsmen die and their hearts, pulled out of their chest to be further grinded for more diabolic practices. We never think of breaking away. Our knees were sliced at various points to corrupt our mind from venturing escape. We are severely tortured daily, just to disable us the more. Life in the hands of these nefarious and heinous men was horror with each passing day. Twenty-three days we stayed or rather, twenty-three days I stayed. Twenty-three days of despicable happenings. Twenty-three days of bloodshed and terror. Twenty-three days of death and horror, then I escaped.

I recall how my friend Gehnki was killed. A great hunter, gone! What a pity!! Gehnki was honoured in Fashadzhi town as the first man to kill three crocodiles in one hunting spree. I remember the joy in our hearts and the happiness showing on our faces in form of sheepish smiles, as he walked back home in delight with the crocs. Gehnki was killed; killed like a chicken. When he was first called up from amongst us, I knew it was his time. I knew at once that Gehnki my good friend was going to leave me in the most gruesome of ways. He smiled as he was being dragged and said to me in our native Gbanku language;

“Yewhun, I died an accomplished man.”

I couldn’t mutter a word. I found it hard to believe that my bosom friend Gehnki would part ways with me in such a dreadful way. What about our hunting expeditions? What about our night tales for our wives and children at moonlight? What about the nights we took our wives to the stream for sheke (the ritualistic wife bath)? What about all these? Uncontrolled tears rolled down my cheeks as I watched him being dragged by these ungodly men. I wondered where their hearts were. Gehnki was taken and his neck placed on a stake. In one sharp blow with the cutlass, his shriek was abruptly cut short and his head was seen rolling down the blood stained stake channel. My dim eyes went shut as I let more tears flow to ease my heavy heart. The rest of us yelled in anguish and discontentment as blood fizzled out of Gehnki’s convulsing lifeless-body before our eyes. When will this end? We were now twelve; seven of us gone, twelve left to go. My kinsmen, Shemtu and Radwekhuna died from the intense torture we receive daily, while Kawdhen my brother in-law took his own life from self pity. When will this truly end? I wasn’t seeing the end being near, until the day the gods remembered my cry and purported to free my dying soul. My everlasting day of joy!!


I wondered about my family; my wife, my two remaining sons and Rizwahne my only daughter. Staying twenty three days without Ghwane, the love of my life was even more painful to me than my rotting knee. Where possibly would she be? A pinch of joy hit my heart on the very day of our capture, when the invaders left my town without raping her and Rizwahne my daughter. They were among the few that were not touched. 

"Could they have gone back?" I thought. "Could the raiders from the spiteful Shanci tribe, have gone back to continue their malicious actions on the rest of the village dwellers?"

These questions never ceased crossing my mind every now and then. Ghwane, where could you be? My mind is always at peace at the thoughts of you; a good sign that reassures me of your safety and wellbeing but still, where could you be? Would you have left Fashadzhi? What of Bebehnlo and Sanshan, my two younger sons. They had already killed Achinda. The malevolent men had killed Achinda, held me captive and displaced my male children. The end of famous lineage!! If only I would ever see you again Ghwane. If only I could see you again my love.

**************************


The first time we attempted breaking out didn’t work out. It rather increased our dose of daily torture. We had stayed twelve days already when the witty and clever ones amongst us developed a plan. We wanted to work with one of the elements of life; fire!! Breaking free would be less complicated if we could raze the thatch fence with fire. Such a perfect idea!! The only issue surrounding the plan then was, making the fire. We were determined! We strongly believed that this ripe boil present at the scrotum would definitely be squashed no matter the time it takes. We devised a plan. At night, we would cut some rafter from the fence and then, with some fire stones, we could create fire. Fire stones!! Another problem!! We then resolved that every night, while our captors are fast asleep, we would all search for these stones within our camp even with our entanglements. We were tied in threes. Two groups were created, the stone searchers and the stone testers. Three older men from our remaining fifteen were made to sit and test the stones. It was in the course of our test that we were caught. By then, we had spent two nights in our search. Dimshe, the most foolish man amongst us sold us all out, cheaply!! Don’t be too quick to judge me. I called him foolish because, he actually is stupid. A man that gives his wife out to his creditors for debt pardon is not just foolish but really stupid. Foolish Dimshe sold us out!!


On the second day of our search, we found suitable stones that could make fire. What a joy that filled our hearts!! One of the major hurdles had been overturned. We had to immediately start plans on setting the thatch fence ablaze. I took time to gather enough rafters from the fence so that we could make the fire at one end and then share the fire around quickly around the fence, making it possible for us to fLee from various angles. We tried not to make a sound. We all co-operated well to bring our plans to fruition. Then all of a sudden we heard shouts……

“It’s a snake! It’s a snake!! It’s a mamba!!!”

And it was Dimshe!! By then, we had already lit the first mould of rafter. Our keepers from the Shanci tribe waiting at the closed entrance to the fenced area were alerted. They awoke to the shouts from our thoughtless Dimshe. We were exposed!! Our freedom plans were laid bare before their prying eyes. What got me the most annoyed was when we latter found out that the snake Dimshe saw was actually a tree branch. So infuriating!! Two of our kinsmen were later killed in the morning, to celebrate our failed plans. We all also received lashes on our bare backs and buttocks. I broke a rib in the process. All as a result of the woes of Dimshe! I have forgiven him anyways. Why shouldn't I? 

**************************


I jumped over this pool, looking back to check for my captors. I could hear their chants. I had left them hours before they noticed one of us was gone. But right now, they are about catching up with me. I won’t let this happen!! For me to run fast, I will have to take my mind away from the pains from my knee, which is more difficult than strangulating oneself.

“Maybe I should apply some herbs from the bush to help ease out some of the congealed pus in my wound, so I could hasten up a bit” I thought

That would rather keep me stagnant for sometime, which will definitely not help my situation. I had to continue running. I kept on limping. There was no other alternative. I hopped, I limped, I leaped, I ran. All to keep moving! I was losing strength, but I was not ready to lose myself again to these marauders. Not now! Not anymore! I could perceive smoke from afar. I could perceive the smell of burning wood. I was close. I was close to the village. I was close to my breakthrough. I tried to look further to see if I could catch a glimpse of a live fire in front without noticing a slight depression on the earth surface in front of me. As I limped even further, my right leg lowered into the impression and in one crash, I hit the ground, dashing my knee on the ground in a thud. My right knee!!  I let a loud cry as I writhed in pain on the floor.

“Ah!!….my ankle, my ankle” I moaned very loudly.

I had also dislocated my ankle. The pains were severe. It felt like death. I groaned in pain. A mixture of blood and pus seeped out of my bad looking knee. My ankle looked even worse. I couldn’t contain the pains. I lay on the floor. Could this be it? Could this be the end of my walk for freedom? My eyes began to go dim. I heard foot stamps, louder as they came closer. And from afar, I heard...

“there he is!! we have found him, Shancikhulo would not let her prisoner go away untouched.”

I lost my last hope. They are here. I have been caught. I let my eyes close. I was fainting. I heard more footsteps. I wished I could die at that moment. I felt an arm gripping my shoulder. I felt another. And I was lifted!! I let myself go!! And I was taken!!


-----------To Be Continued Next Week-----------
 


------
We will love to get a comment from you. Scroll down to leave a comment...people are commenting already!

To follow our authors on Social Media, Click Here

To join our site, Click Here

Follow 360talkatives on FACEBOOKTWITTER & GOOGLE +   
Share on Google Plus

About Uchey

Scroll down to bottom of page to find out more about this author.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

7 comments :

  1. Very good story. Hoping that the next one comes soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. our next post will come sunday, 28th Dec. keep your fingers crossed

      Delete
    2. Please did you mean 28th Dec, 2014 or 28th Dec, 2015? I hope you haven't run out of ideas?

      Delete
  2. Jesus!!!! Did dis rily hapen????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is mere fiction. thank you for following our blog.

      Delete
  3. Calista Ginikachukwu Chidire23 December 2014 at 08:21

    God of mercy

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice story. keep it up. waiting for the post.

    ReplyDelete

The 'Name/Url' option is advisable. You can fill in just 'Name' and ignore the 'url box'.

Promote Our Site On Facebook

What do you think of our site?

NOW THAT YOU'VE READ THE POST CAN YOU CLICK THE POND TO FEED THE FISH?