DON'T WISH ME A HAPPY NEW YEAR!


BANTER WITHOUT DOORS: 


First BANTER WITHOUT DOORS of the year and Duru Chimezie has already picked up a fight with everyone. Now, can you find out what his qualms are?


Taraa!! I am back this year folks! I assume we all had a swell vacation? (note that I didn't call it season or something like that. *blinks eye repeatedly*). Cool! Well, I just resumed blogging a couple of days ago and even though I was so pushed to release this piece on that very day, I resisted such ungodly urge! It was really burning my heart though, and I wished I could do so. But then, who would have read it? Nobody! Since I was sure, you and everyone else most definitely would still be buried in that multitude of goat, cow and chicken meat from the pleasurable break (take another note here. Thank you!). Anyways, here is me and the new piece. And you know what? Don't wish me anything yet! Not even a happy new year! For I've got serious vexation to pour out! *does best to cause nose to flare*.

Alright. So...If not for the fact that both my phones (being android) have a rather unlimited storage for text messages (that's what it keeps appearing to me as), I should have lost my phone to alerts, vibs and notifications, given how many text messages I got during the festive period! I wasn't counting in any way (are there people who actually count the text messages they receive?) but I wouldn't be surprised they went well beyond 120. Some came in while I was praying, others came in while I was having dinner. The most ridiculous of them chose to come in while I used the toilet. Plain glorious!

Anyway, enough of my text messages. But how about the more expressive ones who weren't directed at me but very infectious all the same? The many status updates on Facebook, Whatsapp and even 2go! (what actually happened to this one, guys?). The tweets on Twitter; the updates on BBM and picture-inspired ones on Instagram. They all referred to the same thing - we were in a season and how they wished everyone would feel it and make merry in it, regardless if they cared or not! The updates were annoyingly endless, appearing every second and in some cases being repetitive. Even when we intend not to read or give them any iota of attention, we find ourselves reading them and quite beaming while doing so. More often than not, we get seriously hurt by the grammatical blunder such updates contain. My younger brother calls it 'spear of words' - you read them, they spear your hearts into shreds! I laugh hard.

Alright. So about my brother and still within the euphoria of sent text messages. He wasn't exactly very lucky with SMS's this past season. At least he wasn't covered in glory. Based on what he told me during our family get-together, he actually committed more blunders in sending texts than he has committed in his entire life. What exactly did he do? He sent a nice text message someone else sent him (he didn't know who at first) to another supposed friend (he knew) only to find out later that the person he sent the message to was the same person who sent him the text message but with a different line which wasn't his! He wished the earth could swallow him when the person in question called to query the blatant piracy! Now, it didn't happen just once, but thrice and in very different shades and sorts. Goodness gracious!

And what about seasonal picture messages and gif's? Well, I think they are the future of Christmas messages in Nigeria. In fact, I got more of such messages on whatsapp than I got from any other means! If a guy feels he has no money to send endless texts to many, he adopts the picture messages, thanks to cheap data procurement from Glo and the sort. He would send you all manner of illustrative pictures (from one showing what could be you climbing from 2014 to 2015, to one showing you harvesting several crops of which you actually didn't plant). They all were targeted towards making the new year absolutely filled to the crown with rapture, ecstasy and exhilaration. I myself, did shake around a little bit. I sent messages to friends as well. Yep, I did.

Now that we have fixed those, can we become a bit more realistic again? I mean, what's the point of all those? Who really cares if it's new year or not? What's the essence? You wouldn't believe how startled I was to realize that these final few weeks of each year as well as the start of the following year, always earmarks the most outstanding conscious stupidity of man, if not the black man. For all our senseless jubilation and elation, one thing remains certain, nothing exactly changes when the calendar moves from December 31 to January 1. Absolutely nothing! In fact, we are the ones who actually called those days those names! We created the calendar and chose to be observing those days! As long as that tree in your compound is concerned, it does not have any clue of what you are talking about. As long as your car, house and cloth are concerned, they only crossed into a new day. In fact, even the solar system and the universe, only knows at most that December 31 was a Wednesday while January 1 was going to be a Thursday. That's that for them. And I would gladly bet that if not for man, God wouldn't bat an eye if there is a 2014 or 2015. After all, if you have read enough about Near-Death Experiences, Psychic Science and Celestial Existence/mysticism, you'd know that there is nothing like 'time' after death. Time is only a 'restrain' existing in our present physical realm/plane to control the activities of men. So for all the money you have spent on 'knock-outs' and fireworks, bro. you basically were not making any useful point.

So am I trying to convince the world to begin sleeping all day every January 1 since the universe never cares? Not exactly. I wasn't meaning that up there. And of course you know that taking a long nap in a pig style would be lots more possible than making any attempt in convincing the world. What I am saying is quite simple. You are the one who determines your new year? For all I care, you are still locked up somewhere in 2014, if there are loads of ugly habits you have and are yet to drop. Our new year should be that point where you make some personal decisions about certain things. Like becoming a lot more spiritual; working harder to break through; embracing peace and advancement; moving a step further in career, relationship or responsibility, etc. These are what determines the new year. The number of packs of fireworks burnt would never determine any of these. It is necessary for us to realize this fact and focus on making our 2015 worth the expectation. For no matter the amount of goodwill messages we receive during our festive seasons amid the euphoria, they ain't going to change anything in our lives unless we act upon a conscious decision to do so. So, please, can we stop wishing ourselves a happy new year? We can preserve such wishes for the true friends who have really worked hard to make their 2015 totally new. See you next Thursday.

Here's a footnote though: My birthday was on the 7th of January. And guess what? Although certain activities dint let me celebrate like other times, it was still wow! Using this medium to say thanks to the many (142 on the dot) who remembered that the 7th of every January is my day and tried making it a swell one for me! I really do appreciate! Wish I could spread my love from here! Love you all nonetheless! *covers face*


------
We will love to get a comment from you. Scroll down to leave a comment...people are commenting already!

To follow Duru Chimezie on Social Media, Click Here

To join our site, Click Here

Follow 360talkatives on FACEBOOKTWITTER & GOOGLE +   

Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Scroll down to bottom of page to find out more about this author.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment

The 'Name/Url' option is advisable. You can fill in just 'Name' and ignore the 'url box'.

Promote Our Site On Facebook

What do you think of our site?

NOW THAT YOU'VE READ THE POST CAN YOU CLICK THE POND TO FEED THE FISH?